One Month to Fight Night 😱


Hard to believe when I first started this journey I'd be at this point.  Six to seven months of training - seemed like forever.  It has gone by literally in the blink of an eye.  Now we are less than one month away from Fight Night and reality is starting to set in.  

I am terrified to get up in front of large crowds.  It is not my thing - being the centre of attention.  Ever since we had to start giving speeches in the fourth grade, being up in front of people has been a source of anxiety and panic for me.  So what possessed me to agree to get up in front of hundreds and hundreds of people, step into a boxing ring and actually fight, something I have never done before?  Ummmm....😬   

I guess it just didn't seem "real" when this whole thing started.  Seven months seemed AGES away and I just thought I'd figure it out, same way I do with everything.  Or that maybe I would miraculously get over my fear.  I'm not sure what I was thinking (I'd like to go back and give myself a good shaking 😀) but I can tell you, the panic is real and is starting to set in.  The last couple of weeks I have had a few mini anxiety attack moments.  That feeling in the pit of your stomach, with the butterflies...you start feeling sick and your heart starts racing...your stomach feels like you're on a roller coaster...so many physical feelings all at once.  I have been talking to past fighters, asking them how they coped with the nerves.  How did they stay focused?  How did they mentally prepare?  I have had lots of great advice, I think the trick is finding what works for you.  I am working my way through some suggestions and fingers crossed I will have "my thing" figured out by Fight Night.  😉

Remembering why and who I'm doing this for helps.  Everyday it seems I hear about another friend of a friend, or friend's relative or co-worker's family that has been diagnosed with cancer.  And it SUCKS.  I'm a fixer by nature, I want and like to help people.  And I want to find a way to fix this - to finally find an end to cancer so these stories start becoming a thing of the past.  I have talked about some of the specific people I'm fighting for in other posts. Thankfully my friends and father-in-law fought and won their battles.  They are here enjoying life, living it to the fullest and not taking their time here for granted.  Sadly, my dad was not so lucky.  Very recently my daughter, Abby, started asking questions about my dad.  She sees his pictures and she knows Mommy is fighting against cancer because my daddy is no longer alive.  And as tear jerking as it is to have these conversations, it is a reminder of WHY I am doing this.  WHY I am going to find a way to overcome my fear and get into that ring on June 2nd and punch cancer in the face 💥💪  


    #FTEC2018 #DEFEATISNOTANOPTION






Follow me on Facebook "Dawn Curnew Millar" and/or
on Instagram FTEC2018dawnmillar
Donate here: http://bit.ly/2GbXyR8
or at www.fighttoendcancer.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why am I fighting?

Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Battered and bruised...